Youth baseball leagues have a tremendous amount of responsibility. Not only do they have to coordinate practices and competitions, but they also have to work with league regulations and schedule umpires. These obligations come with specific exposures, but having a comprehensive insurance policy can help mitigate these risks.
The experienced team at Bene-Marc, Inc. can assist you in securing the insurance you need to help protect your league, participants and fans. Contact us today for additional information.
Why Do Youth Baseball Leagues Need Insurance?
Running a sports league means you are in control of many behind-the-scenes functions. However, being in charge often means you may be held responsible for property damage, injuries or other losses. With the number of active athletes in youth baseball and hazards inherent to playing the sport, having insurance can transfer some of the financial risks to help ensure your organization and participants are covered.
What Types of Coverage Are Available for Youth Baseball Leagues?
Each organization’s needs are different and youth baseball leagues can typically choose from several types of coverages, including:
- General liability insurance—This may provide coverage if a youth baseball league is held legally responsible for a third party’s bodily injuries or property damage. It may help pay for the third-party losses (e.g., medical bills), and it may help pay for your league’s legal expenses (e.g., court costs, settlements, judgments).
- Excess accident insurance—This may help pay for injured participants’ medical expenses, regardless of who was at fault. It typically functions as secondary insurance and provides payments after reaching the individual’s coverage limit.
- Property insurance—This may provide repair or replacement costs for property (e.g., equipment, fences and uniforms) if they’re lost, damaged or destroyed by a covered event.
- Directors and officers (D&O) liability insurance—This may provide coverage if a lawsuit is filed against the youth baseball league’s directors or officers for their decisions on behalf of the organization. It can insure against personal losses and pay associated legal fees.
- Crime insurance—This may provide coverage for losses caused by acts of dishonesty (e.g., theft and embezzlement). Policies may be available to cover the actions of employees and volunteers. Cyber liability insurance—Because youth baseball leagues often utilize technology to process fees and other transactions, this insurance may help cover expenses that arise from data breaches or cyberattacks, including legal costs and costs connected to notifying affected parties.
Other coverages may be available to meet youth baseball leagues’ diverse needs, including commercial auto insurance or workers’ compensation insurance.
Bene-Marc specializes in sports and special event insurance, and we can discuss applicable limits and exclusions and which other policies your youth baseball league should consider. Call today at 800-247-1734 for more information and we can help you secure the insurance that is right for you.
This blog is intended for informational and educational use only. It is not exhaustive and should not be construed as legal advice. Please contact your insurance professional for further information.