Planning a special event is a big job, and one that can take up to a year to accomplish. A crucial piece of the puzzle is organization. Without a clear plan, you may be aimlessly lost during the planning process, resulting in a sloppy event. But you can do much better than that. We’ve compiled some tips to help you plan a stellar event.
- Begin planning at least a few months in advance of the event.
- Talk to people who have experience with event planning for inspiration.
- Keep your target guest list in mind when planning activities, music and décor.
- Stay organized, whether you prefer checklists, post-it notes or spreadsheets.
- Create a budget that covers expenses (vendors, printing, food, security, special event insurance and more). Your budget should also outline revenue sources (ticket sales, donations, concessions, sponsorships and more).
- Advertise your event in appropriate media forms, be it in newsletters, radio commercials or other formats. Know who to contact—and when—to secure these ads.
- Consider the venue when planning setup, including tables, chairs, parking, tents, signs, portable restrooms and more. You should know how much space you have to work with, as well as how many guests you’re expecting.
- Your staff or volunteers should be involved in the setup process, the event itself and the cleanup after it ends. Plan clear schedules so everyone knows where they need to be.
- Develop methods of evaluating the success of the event, which may include attendance, revenue raised, feedback from guests and vendors and more.
- Remember to thank your staff/volunteers for their hard work and support.
Even the most carefully planned events can be met with vendor cancellations, damaged venues, family emergencies and other factors that could lead to cancellation or postponement. Protect your hard work and finances with special event insurance.
We’ve got you covered. Call Bene-Marc, Inc. at (800) 247-1734 for more information on special event insurance.