Youth sports leagues take on numerous responsibilities. Whether it is coordinating schedules or enforcing rules and regulations, the work they perform is vital to ensuring the success of its teams, athletes and coaches. Although organizing sports can be exciting, the duties also present several areas of exposure.
A comprehensive insurance portfolio can help mitigate these risks. The experienced professionals at Bene-Marc Inc. in Fort Worth, TX, can help your youth sports league secure the insurance policies that best meet your need. Contact us today to get started.
Why Sports Insurance Is Important for Youth Leagues
It is essential for youth sports leagues to carry the proper insurance. The risk of injuries and property damage is ever-present, and these organizations may be liable for other damages. Insurance can offer coverage for these exposures. Knowing the right policies are in place can also provide peace of mind to participants and spectators, and some types of insurance may be required by law.
What Types of Insurance Do Youth Sports Leagues Need?
Each operation’s needs are unique, but available policies include:
- Property/equipment insurance—This may provide coverage for property (e.g., buildings and their furnishings) youth sports leagues own if a named peril (e.g., fires or severe weather) damages or destroys it. Equipment insurance may also be available to cover owned or leased equipment (e.g., bats, helmets, scoreboards and bleachers) if they are damaged or destroyed by covered perils or stolen.
- Excess accident insurance—This may help cover the medical expenses if a participant suffers a bodily injury. Also known as medical expense insurance, this typically is written on an excess basis which means it may help pay bills if the injured party’s personal health insurance limit has been reached.
- General liability insurance—This may provide coverage if a youth sports league is responsible for the property damage or injuries to third parties (e.g., spectators). It may provide compensation for losses (e.g., medical bills), and it may help pay associated legal expenses (e.g., attorney fees, court costs, settlements and judgments). General liability insurance’s coverage of participant’s lawsuits after sustaining an injury, staff’s inappropriate conduct, damages to rented premises and collapses of temporary structures (e.g., bleachers and tents) may vary. Consult with your agent to discuss exclusions and available liability policies.
- Directors and officers (D&O) liability insurance—This may cover the directors and officers of a youth sports league if they are sued for decisions they made on behalf of the organization. It may insure against their personal losses and help pay for legal fees.
- Crime insurance—This may provide financial protection for a youth sports league if it is a victim of a business-related crime (e.g., embezzlement or forgery) committed an employee or third party. Coverage for the unlawful actions of volunteers may also be available.
- Cyber insurance—This may help cover expenses and recovery costs arising from data breaches or cyberattacks.
- Workers’ compensation—This may provide payments for medical expenses and lost wages if an employee suffers a work-related injury or illness.
Other policies and endorsements may be available to meet your youth sports league’s needs, such as:
- Commercial auto insurance
- Hired and non-owned auto (HNOA) insurance
- Catastrophic accident insurance
- Employment practices liability insurance (EPLI)
- Professional liability insurance
Our agents can discuss details, options, limits and exclusions.
We specialize in sports and special event insurance at Bene-Marc, and we’re ready to help your youth sports league obtain the right insurance coverage. Contact us today for additional information or a quote.
This blog is intended for informational and educational use only. It is not exhaustive and should not be construed as legal advice. Please contact your insurance professional for further information.