Managing a sports team isn’t always easy. For that matter, managing a youth team comes with extra responsibility. Parents expect you to provide children with a safe, responsible environment to play.
There is always a chance that a child on your team could get hurt while practicing or playing. For that reason, sports insurance often can be a big help to the child or the team managers.
Sports insurance may help cover any excess medical costs after the child’s medical insurance pays its part. Insurance may also protect the team from costs in case someone sues the team for damages.
Protecting Youth Participants
Even though a team may have sports insurance, the team still faces risks. If a youth team manager doesn’t properly care for the team, sports insurance may not provide help in case of claims.
To avoid insurance claim denials, make your team’s safety your first priority. Keep these safety tips in mind to better protect your players:
- Before starting play or practice, have all necessary documentation on file. This may include participation waivers and general health information on youth players. Don’t allow youth players to participate without this information on file.
- Only use equipment and safety gear that sport authorities recommend and have approved.
- Make sure that your players understand how to safely use the gear and play materials. Rigorously enforce rules of play and safe handling of equipment. Immediately take action against a player who uses materials in an unsafe way.
- Require players to wear all recommended safety gear at all times. Don’t allow players to wear damaged or illegal means of protection.
- When transporting players, make sure you abide by all transport rules for the team. Also follow all driving rules to the letter.
- Only hire professional and safe assistant coaches, mentors and other team managers. Make sure employees have reputable backgrounds that allow them to work with children.
- Make sure the team respects venues and that you only use safe, respectable venues for team play.
- Follow all state and local laws regarding sport team participation and safety practices at all times.
Most importantly, encourage a team environment for all of your players and coaches. In that regard, you can protect your team from reckless risks and encourage a safe, fun time of play.
Get in touch with Bene-Marc, Inc. today. We provide teams with competitive youth sports insurance rates, and we want to protect your teams. Give us a call at (800) 247-1734 for more information.