When insuring a youth sports team, league or tournament, organizers must consider the diversity of risks that might arise through their operations. These challenges may not only affect the organization itself but could cause far-reaching problems for many others involved.
Various insurance policies are designed to ensure your youth sports group receives the total protection it needs when unforeseen setbacks occur. Any team, league, club or tournament that deals with youth sports should carry coverage. However, because the inherent risks will vary among organizations, you must have the appropriate coverage for your operations.
It’s OK to have questions when you are getting proper insurance for your sports team or league. The goal of Bene-Marc, Inc. is to get you the answers you need to help you make the most informed and secure decisions. You can rely on us to help you get the protection you need.
What Youth Sports Leagues Need Insurance?Any youth sports organization needs to ensure that they have the appropriate coverage, and Bene-Marc, Inc. can easily adapt policies to meet these teams’ diversity of needs. Plans can typically be written for the following sports organizations:
• Cross country
• Field hockey
• Ice hockey
• Ice skating
• Martial arts
• Roller hockey
• Table sports
• Table tennis
• Track and field
• Ultimate frisbee
• Water polo
Depending on the scope of your operations and specifics about the team (e.g., the ages of participants), the types and amounts of coverage you need will vary. It is wrong to assume that even another league you compete against has the exact amounts of coverage that you need. Your policies must be made unique to your own needs.
When getting coverage, a key thing to remember is that running a youth league means working with minors. Various laws and other regulations will influence how participant age and other factors influence team liabilities for sports-related accidents. Generally speaking, youth league organizers often have a higher degree of liability for participant safety. To adequately protect your organization from these unique risks, it’s important to have the appropriate insurance coverage secured.
Keep in mind that some insurers might not offer coverage for your specific sport, but others will. Bene-Marc, Inc. has partnered with numerous top-rated carriers who are trusted throughout the sports insurance market. We can ensure that you receive just the policies that are right for you.
Necessary Coverage for Youth Sports Leagues
The level and scope of coverage youth sports organizations require may vary depending on their specific needs. Some of the policies often necessary for youth sports leagues include:
• Accident medical insurance—When participants or players get hurt during practice, play or other activities, this coverage can provide a medical benefit to help with their recovery costs.
• Medical expenses (other than participants) insurance—This coverage can assist third parties like spectators who might sustain injuries in accidents related to your activities.
• General liability insurance—Negligence or mistakes might lead to a third party sustaining bodily injuries or property damage on your premises. If lawsuits arise from these issues, this coverage can apply to legal fees, settlement and related expenses.
• Property/equipment insurance—Your team’s property, such as equipment and gear, needs to be insured against losses, including damage, theft and vandalism.
• Crime insurance—Certain crimes, such as embezzlement, will receive coverage under crime insurance.
• Directors and officers (D&O) insurance—Team organizers could be named in liability lawsuits. This coverage will protect them from personal asset losses arising from these proceedings.
• Commercial auto insurance—This coverage applies requisite liability insurance (and other benefits) that a personal auto insurance policy cannot apply to business vehicles. Vehicles owned, borrowed or rented by the league might benefit from this coverage.
• Workers’ compensation insurance—Should a league employee get injured on the job, workers’ compensation benefits will help them receive supplementary income, medical benefits and other financial assistance. Depending on your operations, you may be required to carry this coverage.
• Sexual misconduct liability insurance—Allegations of sexual misconduct could arise in any league at any time. Special liability insurance will be necessary to help the team cover their legal defense against the claim.
Plus, numerous more specific benefits are also available for sports leagues, including:
• Hosted tournament liability insurance
• Personal and advertising liability insurance
• Sports fields premises liability insurance
• Participant legal liability insurance
• Rented premises liability insurance
With various youth sports policies available on the market, the key to getting the right ones is to work with your Bene-Marc agent. We can help you pinpoint the necessary benefits for your specific operations and customize those plans to your advantage. We always have your sports insurance needs well in hand.